New Forum Software Has Been Deployed! If You Have Any Issues With Logging In, Please Reset Your Password, Or Contact [email protected].

Mega is gone

Comments

• Calm down, the US Department of Justice is not going to take down every single file hosting site out there. They all, including Megaupload, have a huge legal usage base. Don't quote me on this, but I would say that the majority of the traffic on the major file hosting sites is legitimate and 100% legal.

I used MU a lot for perfectly legal stuff too. I had a lot of 100% legal stuff on my account there, which is why I'm a little annoyed about losing access to it.

From what I can tell of the arrests, the Mega execs were arrested on the allegation that they promoted the uploading of copyright infringing materials to their sites and promoted people to make money off of copyright infringement. I have no idea if that is the case or not, but if it is, then the Mega execs are a pack of gigantic morons.

Calm down, the world isn't ending, the government is not out to get you. At least, not yet. :P
  • Calm down, the US Department of Justice is not going to take down every single file hosting site out there. They all, including Megaupload, have a huge legal usage base. Don't quote me on this, but I would say that the majority of the traffic on the major file hosting sites is legitimate and 100% legal.

I used MU a lot for perfectly legal stuff too. I had a lot of 100% legal stuff on my account there, which is why I'm a little annoyed about losing access to it.

From what I can tell of the arrests, the Mega execs were arrested on the allegation that they promoted the uploading of copyright infringing materials to their sites and promoted people to make money off of copyright infringement. I have no idea if that is the case or not, but if it is, then the Mega execs are a pack of gigantic morons.

Calm down, the world isn't ending, the government is not out to get you. At least, not yet. :P
    Let's be honest here. The majority of files hosted on file-sharing sites ARE illegal. People say that they aren't in order to cover themselves. Everyone knows that these sites are used to share illegal content. The companies themselves can't say that though, obviously. Most people that want to share their "original" content, have their own websites/web host, so there's no need to use these sites which make downloading a lot less convenient for their users. They just put the content as direct links on their sites.
  • edited January 2012
    not necessarily. There are plenty of reasons why you would want to use a file hosting site for legitimate reasons. I know because I did it a lot.

Besides, that still is not the fault of the file hosting site. Similar to how youtube is not responsible for the content uploaded to it, such is the same for file hosting sites. As long as they respond to take down notices, they are not held responsible for the content.
  • not necessarily. There are plenty of reasons why you would want to use a file hosting site for legitimate reasons. I know because I did it a lot.

Besides, that still is not the fault of the file hosting site. Similar to how youtube is not responsible for the content uploaded to it, such is the same for file hosting sites. As long as they respond to take down notices, they are not held responsible for the content.
    Man, I really don't want to be rude right now, But I guess i'm going to come across as being so, but, if you think that almost 100% is legitimate, legal content, you are being naive. I could compile a list, right now, of thousands of sites sharing illegal content on megaupload, I don't think i could even find one link using megaupload legally.

Now, don't get my wrong, i'm totally on megaupload's side. Youtube does exactly the same thing, if not worse, considering you don't need the links to get the content, you can just search for it on youtube itself. But to say that the majority of files on Megaupload are legal, well, that's completely absurd.
  • edited January 2012
    I never said 100%, although I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of it is legal. Maybe not majority, true, I would think a fair enough amount that it would make a difference.

Also, given that you can't search MU's files, your statement about a list of sites using it illegally isn't exactly fair. The people using it legally are not necessarily sharing the links with the world.
  • I never said 100%, although I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of it is legal. Maybe not majority, true, I would think a fair enough amount that it would make a difference.

Also, given that you can't search MU's files, your statement about a list of sites using it illegally isn't exactly fair. The people using it legally are not necessarily sharing the links with the world.
    Oops, I guess I misread that, but it still sort've meant the same thing. Fact is, I don't think I could find one single file, right now, hosted on megaupload, that's legal. So everyone is sharing them via email? or not with the public? I doubt that. That's a small percentage of people. What I know is, I could find millions of links sharing illegal content, so i'm pretty sure that "millions" is a vast majority, but I guess i could be wrong.
  • email, forum pm's, personally and other things like that. Plus, sites like those are often used for personal backups.

I know I use my account for backups of files on my site. Mostly gallery pic backups and the like. We use that account as a central place to store things we need to collaborate on, mostly because it has unlimited storage. I've also used my account for school project collaboration and as a drop box for random things I want to store somewhere.
  • http://megavideo.bz/

I found this on game-tuts.com. It looks like they're trying to get their site back with a new name.
  • edited January 2012
    ya, I wouldn't trust that. Firefox and Google both have it flagged as a forgery site.
  • Well at least MegaUpload is doing this for us.
  • email, forum pm's, personally and other things like that. Plus, sites like those are often used for personal backups.

I know I use my account for backups of files on my site. Mostly gallery pic backups and the like. We use that account as a central place to store things we need to collaborate on, mostly because it has unlimited storage. I've also used my account for school project collaboration and as a drop box for random things I want to store somewhere.
    But that's what i'm trying to say. Those are all a small percentage. Why would millions of these people share links through pm's and emails? It's just not true. I totally hate that Megaupload was taken down, but the truth is, it's being used by people sharing illegal content. They know it too. These companies would make no money if it were just to be used by people using them for personal backups. People have backups at home, on drives, multiple drives if it's really important. It would be a bad idea to use an online site, which you aren't in control of, to handle your personal items. The reason why you see a new filehost popping up everyday, is because of the success of the giants, rapidshare, megaupload, fileserve. There wouldn't be a market for this many hosts if they were just for personal backups, that's just the reality. Anyway, I could argue about this all day, but I can only say so much.
  • Well at least MegaUpload is doing this for us.
    They aren't lol, it's a fake site trying to capitalize on megaupload's recent takedown.
  • All I can say is I hope they dont get charged and megupload comes back online even though the majority of their content is illegal we just have to switch to other sites for the time being
  • They could do it to any site, that's the problem. So now i'm unsure of what to do.

Use Multiupload. It uploads files to multiple different hosts, so if one goes down like Mega did, you'll still have the rest. But I'd also post all the links on PRP and SSP directly, just in case Multiupload goes down.
  • edited January 2012
    they got shut down by time force!!! :'(
    multi upload not only has uploads to dif host sites, but direct downloads too.