New Forum Software Has Been Deployed! If You Have Any Issues With Logging In, Please Reset Your Password, Or Contact [email protected].

PRDT Kira Ford: female "Tommy Oliver"?

In Power Rangers Dino Thunder, Kira Ford started out as an ordinary girl who wanted to be a rock star. At first, she was reluctant to be a Power Ranger, but soon she became one of the best Rangers around. She proved so many times that she was truly a "super" hero just like her teacher Tommy Oliver (who after being freed of Rita's spell was reluctant to join, but soon proved to be the best Power Ranger ever born). If you think about it, Kira and Tommy are so alike. Who here agrees with me that Kira is just like Tommy?

Here are a few clips with Tommy and Kira that shows that she is so much like Tommy
Vid 1: PRDT - Dr. Tommy Oliver vs Red Zeo Ranger V, White & Green Morphin Rangers
Vid 2: PRDT - Fight against Zeltrax

Comments

• Well, me for one, i'm a huge Kira fan. One of the big problems, when you compare anyone to Tommy, is that he's had so much time to develop, so many seasons, and others aren't so lucky. When it comes to Kira, she just had the one season, it was great, but can't really compete with Tommy. That said, she does have many of the same characteristics, but I don't think you could call her the female version of Tommy.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but I think Kimberly is the female version of Tommy, for many reasons. They are both super nice in the show, barely ever say anything bad to anyone, not even in a joking matter (besides bulk and skull). She also has a lot of heart, which Tommy does aswell. These two aspects were both shown throughout the series' and the movies. The main difference between the two, other than their gender, would be their fighting ability. Kimberly always needs help in battle, a lot more than other females throughout the show, whereas Tommy, is always the leader, and is usually helping everyone else.
  • edited September 2012
    @PowerRangerPlanet That's an interesting thought. Let's not forget that Kira displayed some leadership too. It's true that Tommy displayed alotta characteristics in MMPR 1-3, PRZ, PRT, and PRDT, but Kira did most of that in just one season. She showed more "Tommy" characteristics in Thunder Struck 1 and 2, but she was like Tommy for most of the season. Kimberly definitely had a bit if "Tommy" in her, but Kira had more
  • edited September 2012
    I don't think it's fair to compare anyone to Tommy, Maybe adam because he was on the show about as long as Tommy was. Because as PRP said, most rangers only have one season to develop their characters, and in Tommy's case, he had 6 seasons to develop himself.

I think Adam is one of the few rangers you can actually compare Tommy to, because like Tommy, Adam had a lot of seasons for character development! And Adam may very well be the 2nd best power ranger to live.

But as a huge Kira Ford fan, I can agree that the two of them where a like in Dino Thunder and Kira can take over as leader whenever connor or Tommy where gone or missing. Ethan always seemed like a lost puppy without Kira around to tell him what moves he should make next.
  • @Dubby I can imagine Kira being one of the few female Red Rangers, but yellow looks better on her than red
  • I my self would have liked Connor more if they didn't make him such a dummy and bozo lol
  • edited September 2012
    Oh yeah. I agree, but at least Tommy was there to teach him how to be a leader. I disliked that he always just wants to destroy anything that acts evil. First he wanted to destroy Trent, then he wanted to destroy the Ninja Storm Rangers. I guess he had to be Red because the Black costume was too cool for him. Only a cool Ranger gets the cool costume. Anyway, back to Kira. Dubby you said "I don't think it's fair to compare anyone to Tommy" Well this is not about comparing. This is merely pointing out that Kira is was a lot like Tommy. It would have been cool if she was his daughter though. I hope that Tommy and Kira return in Power Rangers Megaforce. No better yet, I wanna see all the Rangers return. Oh wait, I think they will. It's actually hinted in this video
  • Can I get some comments from @iFresh, @MattEmily, @EAGLE_1, @vgiannell5, @kyfm, @zyusouken, @Dekablue, @greenranger, etc about this discussion please?
  • pr thunder the video u linked to with the megaforce teaser is all sentai footage placeholders. we will have to wait and see.
  • I agree that Kira was similar to Tommy, but no one will be the same as Tommy at all. He had a lot more time to develop his character and that's all that anyone needs to say about the whole Kira being the female version of Tommy discussion.
  • @kyfm I guess you're right. I heard they were gonna make PRM the same way they made PRLG
    I agree that Kira was similar to Tommy, but no one will be the same as Tommy at all.
    @zeoranger5 That is definitely true
  • what do u mean they were gonna make PRM the same way they made PRLG?
  • @kyfm If you watch the Japanese version and compare it to the English one you will see that the English version has got way more originality. They didn't use lots of Sentai footage like they did in other seasons. The English version made its own plot, scenes, events, etc. Like I said "If you watch the Japanese version and compare it to the English one you will see that the English version has got way more originality" Can someone help me explain it to him please?
  • edited September 2012
    @PRThunder Lost Galaxy wasn't the best example since while it did its own thing, it kept a lot of the Sentai plots. Magna Defender, Red's brother becoming Magna Defender, Lights of Orion. The evil Galactazords. Need I say more?

Basically PRThunder believes MegaForfce won't match its Sentai counterparts much.
    You know kind of like how they did Mighty Morphin with the first few seasons, only not as much original footage that Mighty Morphin Season 2 and 3 had.
    Since I wouldn't expect to see a whole boatload of original footage like they did in MMPR2 and MMPR3.
    I think we'll see original footage like we did in Zeo, Turbo and Space.
    Space however is a better example of them doing something much different than its Sentai counterpart of Megaranger. Pretty much the only Sentai plots they kept from Megaranger for In Space would be the Psycho Ranger stuff and the Silver Ranger's glitch with having limited morphing time. However the reasons behind Silver Ranger and MegaSilver's limited powers were different.
  • @MattEmily Thank you for explaining. Now it seems like many fans agree with me that Kira was a lot like Tommy, but some say that there are other Rangers who were like Tommy. Would someone care to give me a Ranking list on who is more like Tommy and who is less like Tommy?